Sunday, November 9, 2014

I Wonder How Many Likes I Will Get?

It is becoming the time of year when people are traveling for the Holiday’s and many people might escape to warmer areas for vacations. 

The first thing I ever want to do when I am home for an exciting vacation is to upload all of my pictures to Facebook. However, I just read the article on Entrepreneur called, “The Case Against Sharing Your Epic Vacation Photos on Social Media.”  The article discussed a psychological study done, which found participants enjoyed having experiences that were superior to those had by their peers, but having had such experiences spoiled their subsequent social interactions and left them feeling worse than they would have felt if they had had an ordinary experience instead. 

Now, this study does not seem to be too groundbreaking because it seems so obvious. However, the kicker is sharing photos on Facebook of an amazing vacation only leads to backfire. The study showed the participants that didn’t go on the vacation to ridicule and resent the person instead of being happy for them.

In the end, the study concludes people should share their vacation through verbal communication, rather than just posting pictures on Facebook.

However, I still enjoy posting pictures on Facebook and this study does not seem to convince me not to. Though, my parents generation might think otherwise.

My parents went on a trip to Italy over the summer and instead of putting all the pictures up on Facebook, my parents asked me if I could make a video of the pictures to share with family and friends in person over the Holiday’s. They said this will give them a chance to talk through their experiences and tell everyone exactly where they were and what they were doing.


They say a picture can say a thousand words, but perhaps a picture on Facebook is limited in word count.



2 comments:

  1. Mariah,
    This is just another example of how dangerous social media can be to one's well-being. I will add this to the list of articles I have read recently about how social media can effect people's brains and emotions. However, it makes a lot of sense. When people post their vacation pictures on Facebook I could care less about looking at them regardless of where they went if I don't consider them a close friend or family member. I have also been in the reverse situation where I post vacation pictures I think everyone will love and then I barely get any likes. The past two years I have almost stopped posting to Facebook completely because I feel the people who really care about my pictures will see them in person eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo on this post, Mariah! Not only is this a great and very interesting topic, but you also had very good word choice. I couldn't stop reading! Anyway, this completely makes sense. This is one of those cases where you have to think to yourself, "Maybe social media isn't always a positive thing." Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete