Monday, November 3, 2014

Bitcoin and Social Media

Bitcoin is something I have studied a lot in my business classes because of its innovation. 

Bitcoin is a software based currency first introduced in 2009. Essentially, it is an online currency. Payments are peer-to-peer, so the government is not involved or banks. The payments go into a public ledger. Bitcoin has had many controversies because it could potentially lead to illegal actives because it is decentralized.

That is why I was interested when I came across the article, “What Bitcoin Can Learn FromSocial Media’s Success. According to the article Sean Percival stated, “this rise of bitcoin is almost identical to what I saw during the early days of social media.” If bitcoin would engage in social media, it would become more mainstream, which would lead to more comfortability in using the online currency. The article also suggest bitcoin taking the anonymity out of it because that is something that makes people the most uncomfortable using it.

 ZapChain is a bitcoin awareness company and the CEO,  Matt Schlicht believes social media is the best way for information to spread across the Internet; therefore, social media would help spread the word of bitcoin.

As stated previously, I  have studied bitcoin in the past and even though I know all of the facts, I still feel uncomfortable using it. I think launching and engaging bitcoin on social media would help me understand the value of using bit coin and be more comfortable with it.

It would be neat to see a PR firm take on bitcoin as an account and create a great campaign!





2 comments:

  1. Mariah, I didn't know a lot about bitcoin before I read your post. I still don't think I'll ever use bitcoin, but it was really interesting to hear how social might start to play a part in bitcoin's use! We will see where bitcoin is taken in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mariah,

    I've heard about Bitcoin before, but I never really understood what it was or how it works. It will be interesting to see if this really kicks off and people really invest time and money into this idea.

    ReplyDelete