Wednesday, October 1, 2014

NACA

NACA stands for the National Association of Campus Activities. I am a member of the association by being the president of SPC at ONU. NACA is something I hope to continue to blog about because I think it is a great association that has greatly benefited me as a person.

Every February, SPC takes selected members to the national conference for NACA. Last year I was chosen to attend and the conference was in Boston. This year I have the opportunity to attend again and it will be in Minneapolis.

The conference is jam packed with sessions and activities. In essence, campus activities organizations from nationwide come to the conference to search and book entertainment acts for their universities. The entertainment can be anywhere from a company with inflatables, to a company that allows to make your own chopstick all the way to companies that have magicians, comedians and musicians. The goal is to book entertainment fitting to your school.

So how do you know if someone is talented that you are booking? Well, everyday there are about three showcases ranging from about two to three hours long. At the showcase, selected entertainment are able to get on stage and show the audience a 15 minute excerpt of what their show might be. SPC always books talent from NACA. In fact, this year two of our greatest groups, Branches and Six Appeal, were discovered at NACA in Boston.

In addition, to the showcases there is a place called “camp” that all conference goers attend about twice a day. At camp there are opportunities to network with the entertainment and book them, look at other companies, such as a company with inflatables and even meet celebrities. Last year, The Situation from Jersey Shore and Jeffrey Tambor from Arrested Development were both there signing autographs. Of course, my favorite thing is the amount of free swag I get!


For the upcoming NACA conference I am actually most looking forward to the educational sessions. The educational sessions are typically run by event planning professionals and help students with tips for planning better events on campus and even professional development. Since I am graduating in May, I look forward to hear what the professionals have to say and even network with them.

NACA is a fulfilling experience and SPC is gearing up to start planning our trip and selecting which members will have the opportunity to attend in February 2015! 




The NACA SPC group from February 2014 with Frangela. Frangela is a hired comedian act coming to ONU in the Spring 2015 semester.

Fun Fact: The lady in the very front was on Hannah Montana as Roxy.



The NACA SPC group at one of the showcases in Boston! 

1 comment:

  1. Mariah, I loved reading about your experience at NACA, especially since I am very interested in going this year! I would love to have the experience of previewing these entertainers and choosing who SPC will book for the upcoming school year. I think the group of SPC members that attended NACA with you this past year did a great job choosing the entertainment for the SPC events this year. I have enjoyed every event that you have told me we booked through NACA and that makes me even more eager to go and see the other amazing entertainers that will be there this upcoming year!

    ReplyDelete