Sunday, October 19, 2014

Babies on Social Media

I am a big fan of the Today Show and sometimes will wander onto their website to see what quirky stories they have written. I stumbled upon an article that was quite humorous and appealing entitled, “Have a social media account for your baby? 40 percent of millennial moms do.”

 The first thing I thought of was these women must be crazy, but then I realized it makes some sort of sense. Moms are notorious for taking a billion pictures of their children because family members, especially those far away, love to see pictures of the children. What better way then sharing pictures instantaneously on social media?

The article said a survey was conducted by Gerber.com and 40 percent of moms aged 18 to 34 have social media accounts for their babies. Currently, the most popular site for moms has been Instagram, since it is just a feed of pictures. One mom claimed she uses her daughters social media account to update family on her progress, since the baby is in the NICU for being very premature.

I have noticed many celebrity children have their own accounts, but their moms run the accounts. For example, the Lily from Modern Family has had her own Twitter account since she was really little and it has a lot of humerus content.

There has been controversy of exposing adolescents to social media, but now even babies are making their way into the social media world! Even though they are not directly interacting with social media, they are still exposing their private life. Though many moms do not seem too concerned with the privacy issues, some say they are more worried about their children hating them for putting embarrassing pictures up for everyone to see!



1 comment:

  1. I find this whole thing a little odd. I understand celebrity babies to an extent because they have overlapping fans between their famous parents and themselves. To make an account for just a regular child though? I think that is pushing it too far. I see a lot of baby pictures on my Facebook feed posted by parents and that is of course fine; be proud of your adorable baby! Their own account though is too much. Maybe I have watched too many episodes of Law and Order: SVU, but I can see that going wrong and spreading to more people than the parents anticipated.

    ReplyDelete